Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 49 documents relating to the sale of DUYFKEN

Date: 1978 - 1984
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0738

User Terms

    Description
    These 49 documents from the McIlwraith McEacharn Limited document the transfer and sale of the DUYFKEN. The series consists of 15 letters, four documents and 10 telegrams relating to offers for, sale of, and the delivery of the DUYFKEN; one specification and one registration document; one payment receipt; two design plans for the DUYFKEN; one memorandum relating to permits; one bill of sale; one permit application; one survey and one registration certificate; one invoice; three sets of notes relating to the sale; one cheque; one list of issues relating to the sale; three sales agreements; and one report on the DUYFKEN. The documents span the period 1978 - 1984.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: MATERIAL DOCUMENTING THE TRANSFER AND SALE OF THE "DUYFKEN", FROM THE COLLECTION OF MCILWRAITH MCEACHARN

    Web title: Collection of 49 documents relating to the sale of DUYFKEN

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.