Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Halvorsen Boats Photographs 3

Date: 1920-1947
Dimensions:
Overall: 570 x 450 x 70 mm
Medium: Paper, cardboard, fabric, ink
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Harvey Halvorsen and Judith Lynn Vigo
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph album
Object No: 00038530
Place Manufactured:Sydney

User Terms

    Description
    This photographic album is covered in black fabric and features gold printed text on the front cover reading 'Halvorsen Boats Photographs 3'. The flyleaf features a typed list with the names of the boats photographed and their dimensions. Together with images of Halvorsen boats and shipyards, the album contains photographs of the Halvorsen family and personalities of the period.
    SignificanceThe photographs contained in this albumn are an important document of the Halvorsen family's boat building business and the vessels on which they worked.
    HistoryVessels and subjects photographed in the album include: launches and skiffs at Bobbin Head; Halvorsen's premises at Top Ryde; NOMENA 46 ft under construction and launched; Carl Halvorsen with Lord Nuttfield and G A Lloyd taken on board IHA; SAGA 34' 6" x 7' 10" sloop; crew of SAGA second place in Sydney-Hobart 1946, including Trygve and Magnus Halvorsen; GAGA first over starting line 1946 Sydney-Hobart; Halvorsen '25' standard Morris powered motor cruiser; ALPHA 75' x 18' Seine trawler; 18' 6' launch for Australian Petroleum; 14' hire skiffs for Neutral Bay and Bobbin Head; 65' x 17' mission vessel for AUC of SDA; 25' 1947 on truck; 16' speed skiff VERITY H owned by C Halvorsen; DAVARA 90' x 22' freighter; 65' x 17' mission vessel for AUC of SDA; interior of HARBOUR EXPRESS; Miss Judy Wakelin preparing refreshments; HAWTHORN 25'; HARBOUR EXPRESS; photos by Dept of Information for publicising the Sydney-Hobart yacht race throughout the world; HARBOUR EXPRESS 34' tourist boat; Mr and Mrs George Formby at Bobbin Head November 1947; SIROCCO II 1946; Dept of External Territories 26'; 25's operated by Cruiser Charters; Magnus and Trygve Halvorsen receiving Trans Tasman Cup 1949; crew of PEER GYNT 1949; PEER GYNT 36' ; twin screw 65 footer BATUNA for Seventh Day Adventist mission; one of eight 45' vessels for Seventh Day Adventist mission; stand in manufacturer's pavillion RAS Easter Show 1949; standard four berth 21' cruiser; Bob Dyer.

    In 1925 the Norwegian born Lars Halvorsen began working from a small rented boat shed in Drummoyne with his eldest son Harold. Needing larger premises, they moved the fledgling business to a boat shed at Careening Cove, and in 1927 to Lloyds yard on the site of Ben Boy's wool store at Neutral Bay.

    Continuing a family tradition, Lars Halvorsen trained his sons to be shipwrights from the age of fourteen. Following this apprenticeship the sons progressively joined the company; Carl in 1927, Bjarne in 1930, Magnus in 1932, and Trygve in 1934. His daughter Elnor joined in 1928, working with her mother Bergithe and the youngest daughter Margit, who worked as the secretary from 1939. Following the death of Lars Halvorsen in 1936, Lars Halvorsen Sons Pty Ltd was formed with Harold as Chairman Managing Director and principle designer, and Carl as Sales Director.

    Lars Halvorsen Sons Pty Ltd purchased a waterside property with five acres at Waterview St, Ryde, and production moved from the Neutral Bay boatshed, which was retained as a service branch, to the new boatshed in 1940. The Ryde facility was the largest in the southern hemisphere, with an engineering section, blacksmith and lumber shops, stores, machine shop, plumbers shop, sheet metal shop, fueling facilities, five slip-ways for craft up to 90 feet and 100 tones, a three ton crane and an electric oxy-acetylene welding plant.

    During World War II owners of boats over 40 feet in length were asked to hand over their vessels over for the war effort. At the Ryde boatyard these civilian boats were refitted for military use. Boats built by Lars Halvorsen Sons were also deployed by the Australian, United States and Dutch forces during the war. The momentum of this war time production continued into the 1950s with the manufacture of cruisers and the subsequent establishment of the large hire fleet at Bobbin Head in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

    From 1926 to 1976 the Halvorsens built 1,299 vessels including motor cruisers, launches, tenders, yachts, tugs, mission boats, fishing boats and military craft.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.