Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Photographic album relating to the passenger ships WESTRALIA and WANGANELLA

Date: 1929 - 1932
Dimensions:
Overall: 300 x 250 x 45 mm, 1.38 kg
Medium: Cloth bound boards, photographs, paper, ink
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Scrapbook
Object No: 00038315

User Terms

    Description
    Photographs, invitations, menus, programs, newspaper clippings and other memoribilia regarding the launch of the WESTRALIA in 1929 in Glasgow and the voyage of the WANGANELLA to Sydney via the Suez Canal in 1932. Both ships were owned by the Huddart Parker Line.
    SignificanceThis album is an important pictorial record of two vessels which were active in Australian waters.
    HistoryMV WESTRALIA (II) was built by Harland and Wolff, Belfast in 1929 with luxurious accommodation for 360 1st class passengers, and 90 3rd class. It was the second ship named WESTRALIA by Huddart Parker Ltd. It served on the Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide-Fremantle passenger service until 1939 when it was requisitioned by the RAN for the Second World War as HMAS WESTRALIA (I). It had a distinguished career as, among other things, a landing craft and a troopship. It served in the East Indies Station and Nauru area. WESTRALIA was not released back to commercial service until 1951, where it rejoined the Fremantle route. In 1958 it was removed to the Sydney-Auckland-Wellington run, but was back on the Fremantle run the following year. In 1960 it was purchased by the Asian and Pacific Shipping Co as a livestock carrier and renamed the DELFINO. In 1961 it was renamed WOOLAMBI but never sailed under this name. It was towed to a Japanese scrap yard the same year.

    WANGANELLA (Ex ACHIMOTA) bought by Huddart Parker and refitted in Belfast by Harland and Wolff Ltd. in 1932. Sailed to Sydney via the Suez Canal in 1932 and serviced the trans-Tasman route. She was requisitioned for use as a hospital ship during the Second World War and in 1963 was sold to a New Zealand company for use as a hostel during the construction of the Manapouri Power Station. WANGANELLA was scrapped 1970.

    Huddart Parker was formed in Geelong in the 1850s and grew on the trade produced by the Victorian gold rush to become a major Australian shipping company by the 1890s. The discovery of gold in Western Australia in the 1890s sparked a boom and several companies competed for service in the trade. They rapidly expanded in the 20th century and became publicly listed in 1911 with the name Huddart Parker Ltd. Five ships were requisitioned during the First World War, with the loss of one. During the inter-war period Huddart Parker expanded into servicing Tasmania with a New Zealand company. Its three passenger ships, ZEALANDIA, WESTRALIA and WANGANELLA were once again requisitioned for the Second World War with ZEALANDIA sinking during the Japanese raid on Darwin in February 1942.

    Huddart Parker was taken over by Bitumen and Oil Refineries Australia Ltd in 1961.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.