Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Album containing photographs of sailing skiffs skippered by Rear Admiral Dumaresq RN

Date: 1922
Dimensions:
265 x 385 x 450 mm, 6.26 lb. (2.84 kg)
Medium: Paper, ink, watercolour paint, leather
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Sea Power Centre Australia
Classification:Books and journals
Object Name: Photograph album
Object No: 00039586

User Terms

    Description
    This presentation album contains 28 folios of William James Hall's silver gelatin prints of sailing skiffs skippered by Rear Admiral John Saumarez Dumaresq RN. The album has a decorative frontispiece with a watercolour and ink illuminated address. It was compiled by Hall and Co and presented to Rear Admiral Dumaresq by members of the Open Sailing Club, Sydney Flying Squadron and Sydney Sailing Club on the 24th of April 1922, less than three months before his death from pneumonia in the Philippines while enroute to England.
    SignificanceThe Hall collection provides an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour, from the 1890s to the 1930s – from large racing and cruising yachts, to the many and varied skiffs jostling on the harbour, to the new phenomenon of motor boating in the early twentieth century . The collection also includes images of the many spectators and crowds who followed the sailing races.
    HistoryWilliam Frederick Hall, a fingerprint expert at Long Bay Gaol, set up a photographic studio in Sydney in 1890. Hall, formerly a butcher from England, became a well-known photographer whose photographic career in Sydney spanned a number of decades. William James Hall (1877 – 1951), also a photographer was his son with Caroline Asimus, who was born on 11 May 1877 in Woolloomooloo, Sydney. William James Hall joined the business and took over its operations in 1902. He established Hall & Co in 1904. Hall married Alice Rosina Hopson on 14 August 1901 in Bowral.
    Although neither the father nor the son were sailors, both developed a keen interest in sailing and sailing craft. During the late 1880 and early 1890s William Frederick Hall documented the weekend sailors and yachts of Sydney Harbour. William James Hall took over the tradition until the early 1930s capturing photographs from his motor boat. Each Monday, Hall would display photographs of weekend races on Sydney Harbour in the window of his studio at 20 Hunter Street.
    Hall also ventured into other areas of photography, and is generally considered to have pioneered the art of livestock photography in Australia at the start of the 20th Century. Hall’s company, Hall & Co were also known for their aerial, landscape, portraiture, city and rural photography. Survived by his second wife, Edith Hannah Gilkes, Hall died on 26 August 1951.
    A number of photographic studios were established by William F Hall and William J Hall. Known at different times as Hall studio, Hall & Co, W F Hall and Hall W the businesses were located variously at 7 Castlereagh Street, 39, 44 and 70 Hunter Street, 91 Phillip Street and 21 Blight Street in Sydney city from 1890 onwards.

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.