Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Phare du Port Jackson

Date: 1850
130 x 180 mm
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Object Name: Engraving
Object No: 00039580

User Terms

    This hand coloured print depicts a view of the Port Jackson Lighthouse. It shows the Macquarie Light on South Head. The title reads 'Phare du Port Jackson Varg'. The print is based on a well known lithograph 'Vue du phare du Port Jackson (Nouvelle Galles du Sud) after Louis Auguste de Sainson, Paris, 1830, plate 26 of Voyage de la corvette l'Astrolabe, Atlas historique, an issue of which is in the ANMM Collection 00000894.
    SignificanceThis engraving represents a popular interpretation of a signficant light station in early colonial Australia that was the subject of many romantic artistic views of Sydney.
    HistoryThe first Macquarie Lighthouse, as seen in this artwork, was built in 1818 near the site of a signal station (flagstaff) that had been in place on the Outer South Head since 1791. Governor Macquarie ordered the construction of a permanent structure that was designed by convict architect Francis Greenway. However, the sandstone used to build the lighthouse deteriorated quickly and a replacement, an almost identical lighthouse constructed in stronger materials, was built in 1883. It is still functioning today.
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Phare du Port Jackson

    Web title: Phare du Port Jackson

    Related People

    Discuss this Object


    Please log in to add a comment.