Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Material relating to the Volunteer Coastal Patrol collected by Arthur Morgan

Date: 1914 - 1978
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Brian Morgan
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS1199

User Terms

    Description
    This archive collection is comprised of paper based material collected by Arthur Morgan relating to the development of the Volunteer Coastal Patrol. It includes multiple Orders issued by Officer Commanding H W G Nobbs; various Patrol reports; Patrol subscription receipts; photographs depicting Arthur Morgan, the presentation of the Miramar Shield, and views of the WANDERER II; various newspaper clippings regarding the Patrol; multiple membership lists; correspondence between Harold Nobbs, J Mackay, Alan Fletcher, F A Freelander, Ivor Russell and W Small; Volunteer Coastal Patrol song lyrics (including 'Seaway' and 'Ancyra)'; as well as meeting agendas, financial records, manuals, memorandums and booklets.
    SignificanceThis archive collection illustrates the importance of the Volunteer Coastal Patrol during World War II and the post-war period as an organisation working in conjunction with the Australian Police and Royal Australian Navy to ensure coastal security. It shows the activities that the Volunteer Coastal Patrol arranged and the level of training and organisation within the patrol.
    HistoryArthur Morgan, born 2 October 1905, joined the Volunteer Coastal Patrol (VCP) on 6 February 1939 and was listed on the register as number 28 with the warrant number 9949. Morgan was Officer Commanding of the VCP from 1914 to 1943 and was twice winner of the Miramar Shield - a motor boat race - in 1948 and 1949. Arthur was owner and skipper of the patrol boat ANCYRA 07 and later bought VAGABOND which was renamed WANDERER II in the mid-1950s. He left the Patrol in 1943 but rejoined when it reformed in Broken Bay in the late 1940s, serving until 1963.

    The Volunteer Coastal Patrol, the oldest voluntary sea rescue organisation in Australia, was established on 27 March 1937. The VCPs objectives were to bring together yachtsmen and those interested in small ships and encourage them to undergo a course of training so that their services would be of value to the authorities in rescue situations, and to train and educate these yachtsmen so that Australia's waterways could be made safer for those who ventured upon them in small craft.

    When World War II was declared in 1939, members of the patrol affirmed their desire to serve their country as a volunteer service, assisting the Royal Australian Navy, Australian Army, Water Police and Maritime Services Board in the vital defence of Sydney Harbour. Oil depots, wharves, troopships, dockyards, the State ammunition dump in Bantry Bay and flying-boat base in Rose Bay were all patrolled by the VCP until war's end. In 1940 the patrol had some 500 vessels and 2,000 members on its register.

    On 12 June 1941 the RAN established the voluntary Naval Auxiliary Patrol along the lines of the VCP. Through control of this body, the RAN took over all the autonomous coastal divisions of the VCP, with a view to doing the same with the Port of Sydney division. In 1942, after much bitter debate with the RAN Commanding Officer Arthur Morgan and his skippers refused the RANs terms and conditions for amalgamation, and the VCP ceased its relationship with the Navy and Army. However it maintained its patrol function with the Water Police and was absorbed as an auxiliary to the National Emergency Service Organisation (NES).

    The VCP continued to operate in the post-war period in a purely voluntary capacity, constituting an important element in national security. Its objectives were rewritten to make the organisation of value to the country in times of emergency as well as peace, by making waterways safer for yachtsmen and by setting an example to all those on the water. In 1974 Her Majesty the Queen bestowed the 'Royal' prefix to the Volunteer Coastal Patrol. While the VCP was originally designed to use properly equipped privately owned vessels, in the 1980s this became unfeasible and the patrol now owns some 50 vessels.

    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Arthur Morgan: Early history of the Volunteer Coastal Patrol (VCP)

    Collection title: Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol

    Web title: Material relating to the Volunteer Coastal Patrol collected by Arthur Morgan

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.