Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 136 photographs and negatives relating to coal mining

Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0858

User Terms

    Description
    These 136 photographs, negatives and transparencies featuring NSW coal mining at the Bellambi and Clarence collieries and Port Kembla coal loading facility. The series consists of 32 negatives, 21 photographs and 83 transparencies depicting images of a coal conveyer system, a mine bus, a bulldozer working a stockpile, coal digging machinery, a coal loader, coalminers, a dam with floating pump room, front end loaders, a Japanese bulk carrier, processing plant facilities, a rail locomotive, semi trailers, shelves and racks for spare parts, stockpiled coal, views of a coal face, views of mine tunnels, water supply pipes and the vessel CLIPPER STAR.

    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Collection of 136 photographs and negatives relating to coal mining

    (not entered): McIlwraith McEacharn related documents, prints and transparencies featuring NSW coal mining including Bellambi & Clarence collieries and Port Kembla coal loading facility

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.