Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 10 items relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from McIlwraith McEacharn Limited
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0864

User Terms

    Description
    This collection of 10 items documents the company history of McIlwraith McEacharn Limited. The series consists of one folder of correspondence between McIlwraith McEacharn and various institutions; one McIlwraith McEacharn Limited Christmas card; one black and white print of KANIMBLA; one article entitled 'Sea Travel is Luxury Travel'; two covers of the Melbourne Harbour Trust Port Gazette and Melbourne Travel Directory depicting McIlwraith McEacharn vessels; one article entitled 'Last of the Sixty Milers' relating to HEXHAM BANK; and two photograph albums containing photographs of MV KANIMBLA and Heaton Tab and Company Limited, London.
    SignificanceThis collection is significant in recording a comprehensive history of an Australian shipping company from the 1870s to the 1990s.
    HistoryThe shipping firm of McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was founded in London in February 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm Donald McEacharn. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co entered the Australian trade in 1887 bringing cargo and immigrants from Britain to Queensland. They also entered the coal trade. They entered into the fierce competition for passenger trade in the first decades of the twentieth century when competition for passengers required companies to provide more than converted cargo vessels. In 1909 their ship KAROOLA won a reputation for its salubrious accommodation and its size, and was the first Australian ship to exceed 7,000 tons. The company maintained the advantage in 1912 by commissioning KATOOMBA, which was larger and more luxurious than all its generation of passenger ships.

    With the growth of rail and road transport, Australian shipping declined during the twentieth century. McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co was a survivor and bought the fleets of James Paterson and Huddard Parker in 1961. In 1957 McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co together with Adelaide Steamship Company and Melbourne Steamship Company, set up Bulkships Pty Ltd to work the heavy ore trade and bought four ships. In 1964 it merged shipping interests with those of the Adelaide Steamship Company to form Associated Steamships. They had a combined fleet of 12 conventional cargo vessels, which they replaced with three container ships.

    McIlwraith McEacharn continued in the shipping trade until the 1990s when their ships were sold to a US company.
    Additional Titles

    (not entered): McIlwraith McEacharn related documentation and corresponsdence

    Web title: Collection of 10 items relating to McIlwraith McEacharn Limited

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.