Search the Collection
Advanced Search

HMAS COWRA felt pennant

Date: 1946
Dimensions:
170 x 580 mm
Medium: Felt
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Peter Horne
Object Name: Pennant
Object No: 00040528

User Terms

    Description
    HMAS COWRA was a minesweeper (corvette) of the South-West Pacific 20th Minesweeping Flotilla in 1946. This souvenir pennant, featuring the ship's name and flotilla crest commemorates COWRA's role clearing mines off the east coast of Australia, Hobart, New Britain and the Solomons.
    SignificanceThis pennant honours the critical work undertaken by HMAS COWRA after World War II, clearing mines and ensuring the safety of shipping routes and ports.
    HistorySixty minesweepers (also referred to as corvettes) were built in Australian shipyards under the World War II Commonwealth Government Shipbuilding Program. Many of them went on to join the 20th Minesweeping Flotilla and take part in dangerous operations both during the war and for some years after when mine clearing duties were essential to the safety of ports and shipping routes.

    HMAS COWRA was commissioned in 1943 and began service in November of that year, escorting convoys on the east coast of Australia. She transferred to New Guinea waters in 1944 to take up escort and anti-submarine patrol duties. After a period of refit in Melbourne in June 1944, COWRA returned to New Guinea in August and spent the following 11 months on patrol and escort duties, mainly in the Morotai area. In January 1945, COWRA bombarded positions at Yalela Bay in the Northern Halmaheras. COWRA's wartime service in the frontline areas came to an end on 17 July 1945 when it departed Langemak for Melbourne.

    In the post-war period HMAS COWRA joined the South-West Pacific 20th Minesweeping Flotilla and took part in mine clearance operations on the east coast of Australia and off Hobart, New Britain and the Solomons. The ship was paid off on 4 December 1946.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.