Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Bofor shell casing engraved with HMAS CRESWELL badge

Date: 1967
Dimensions:
Overall: 312 x 44 x 64 mm, 820 kg
Medium: Metal
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Peter Collins AM RFD QC
Classification:Armament
Object Name: Bofors shell
Object No: 00034308

User Terms

    Description
    A bofor shell casing engraved with a HMAS CRESWELL badge. A gold coloured bofor shell casing engraved at the center front with HMAS CRESWELL badge. The HMAS badge consists of a circular shape with a crown and sails. At the top is a badge banner with text reading "CRESWELL". The bottom banner reads: "Honor integritas virtus" and has a boomerang crossed with a nail and axe. At the front center below the badge is an engraving that reads "RAN.C / HMAS CRESWELL / 1967".
    SignificanceHMAS CRESEWELL is the "the cradle of our Navy" and its long history represents RAN training tradition and the development of naval weaponry.
    HistoryThis bofor shell has been adapted as a souvenir after its use, possibly by a member of the Royal Australian Navy.The badge of HMAS CRESWELL is mounted on the shell.
    HMAS CRESWELL is a naval training college at Jervis Bay on the South Coast of New South Wales. Construction of buildings for the College began in 1913 and the College has been used for training naval personnel throughout the twentieth century.
    Bofor guns were invented in Sweden in 1928 as a field army gun, a ship board mounting was developed for the bofor in the years following and the weapon was used during World War II by the Royal Navy. This bofor shell may have been used during RAN training exercises.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.