Search the Collection
Advanced Search

SS ILLINGWORTH

Date: 15 March 1924
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00040939

User Terms

    Description
    SS ILLINGWORTH is shown in Snails Bay, Balmain on Saturday afternoon, 15 March 1924. ILLINGWORTH was under the British owner R S Dalgliesh and operated as a cargo vessel between Australia and Britain.
    SignificanceThis photograph represents ILLINGWORTH and trade between Britain and Australia during the early 20th century.

    It is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistorySS ILLINGWORTH was a British cargo ship of 6067 ton built in 1922 by Richardson Duck at Thornaby. It went through a series of owners and name changes. In 1934 it was called MINA, 1937 AIDA LAURO, in 1941 VITORIALOIDE and then in 1950 AIDA LAURO once more.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: SS ILLINGWORTH

    Assigned title: SS ILLINGWORTH

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.