Search the Collection
Advanced Search

PORT GISBORNE

Date: 25 March 1931
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00040944

User Terms

    Description
    PORT GISBORNE is shown at wharf No 1 Woolloomooloo Bay on Wednesday 25 March 1931. This photograph was taken near the Domain Baths at 12.40pm. In 1931 PORT GISBORNE was registered in the port of Melbourne under a British flag.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryPORT GISBORNE was a British steel twin-screw motor merchant vessel of 8390 ton. Built in 1927 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd at Wallsend, Sunderland it was owned by Port Line Ltd/ Commonwealth and Dominian Line and used for transporting commercial cargo including wool and sheepskin. On 11 October 1940 it was torpedoed by a German submarine and sunk.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: PORT GISBORNE

    Assigned title: PORT GISBORNE

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photograph Collection

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.