Search the Collection
Advanced Search

ROLLICKER

Date: 1 July 1923
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00040976

User Terms

    Description
    The steam rescue tug ROLLICKER is shown arriving at Dawes Point, Sydney on Sunday 1 July 1923. This photograph was taken by Frederick Wilkinson from a passing vessel. The building in the background, far right, is the Pastoral Finance Association Wool Store, Kirribilli. The building was destroyed by fire in 1921 and remained a feature on the harbour for several years after.
    SignificanceThis photograph represents ROLLICKER and the role of tug boats in Sydney Harbour during the first half of the 20th century.

    It is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryROLLICKER was a steel twin screw tug of 817 ton. Built in 1919 by Ferguson Bros Ld at Port Glasgow it was owned by the British Admiralty and registered in the port of London under a British flag.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: ROLLICKER

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Web title: ROLLICKER

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.