Search the Collection
Advanced Search

SS RONA

Date: 22 March 1930
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041512

User Terms

    Description
    SS RONA is shown anchored at Cremorne, Sydney on Saturday afternoon 22 March 1930. This image was captured from onboard the 3.40pm ferry travelling between Mosman and Circular Quay. RONA was operating for the Colonial Sugar Refining Company at the time.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryRONA was a steel screw-steam cargo ship of 6205 tons built in 1918 by Sir R Dixon & Company Ld at Middlesbrough. In 1930 it was owned by the Colonial Sugar Refining Co Ld and registered in Sydney under a British flag. In 1956 it was renamed SUVA BREEZE and used as a mollasses tanker. It was scrapped at Hong Kong in 1959.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: SS RONA

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Web title: SS RONA

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.