Search the Collection
Advanced Search

SS RONA

Date: 29 March 1930
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041513

User Terms

    Description
    SS RONA is shown anchored off Cremorne, Sydney Harbour on Saturday afternoon 29 March 1930. This image was captured at 5.10pm from a ferry travelling to Taronga from Circular Quay. It is one of a number of photographs taken of the vessel while it was moored in Sydney Harbour.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryRONA was a steel screw-steam cargo ship of 6205 tons built in 1918 by Sir R Dixon & Company Ld at Middlesbrough. In 1930 it was owned by the Colonial Sugar Refining Co Ld and registered in Sydney under a British flag. In 1956 it was renamed SUVA BREEZE and used as a molasses tanker. It was scrapped at Hong Kong in 1959.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: SS RONA

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Web title: SS RONA

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.