Search the Collection
Advanced Search

SS BUTESHIRE

Date: 22 December 1923
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041528

User Terms

    Description
    SS BUTESHIRE is shown anchored off Cremorne, Sydney on Saturday afternoon, 22 December 1923. This image was captured from a vessel en route to Circular Quay from Taronga Park.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistorySS BUTESHIRE was a 5140 ton British cargo vessel built in 1912 by Palmers at Hebburn and owned by Cayzer, Irvine & Co Ltd. It was originally called CLAN MACEWEN but renamed BUTESHIRE in 1920 when it transferred from the Clan Line. The Houston Line purchased the vessel in 1942 and it was scrapped in 1948.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Web title: SS BUTESHIRE

    Assigned title: SS BUTESHIRE

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.