Search the Collection
Advanced Search

CANBERRA

Date: 1 December 1923
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041555

User Terms

    Description
    CANBERRA was photographed on Saturday afternoon 1 December 1923 from MD wharf. It was mainly used on the Australian coastal passenger trade route and managed by Australian Steam Ship Propriety Limited.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryCANBERRA was a steel twin-screw vessel of 7,710 tons used for carrying passengers and cargo. It was built in 1913 by A Stephen & Sons Ld at Glasgow for Australian Steamships Ltd. In 1923 it was owned by the Australian Steam Ship Propriety Ld and registered in the port of Melbourne under a British flag. In 1948 it was sold to Cia. Maritime del Este, Panama (Ormos Shipping Co, London) and then in 1954 sold to Felix Benitez Rexach, Ciudad Trujillo, Dominican Republic and renamed ESPANA, and in 1959 sold to ship breakers.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: CANBERRA

    Web title: CANBERRA

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.