Search the Collection
Advanced Search

SS BERWICKSHIRE

Date: 21 October 1923
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041568

User Terms

    Description
    SS BERWICKSHIRE is shown arriving in Sydney Harbour from Newcastle on Sunday 21 October 1923 at noon. In 1923 it was operating for the Clan Line and transported cargo between Australia and South Africa.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryBERWICKSHIRE was originally launched as CLAN MACARTHUR in 1912 and built by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co at Newcastle. The British cargo ship of 5,815 tons was first owned by Cayzer, Irvine & Co Ltd at Glasgow. In 1920 it was renamed BERWICKSHIRE and transferred to Turnbull, Martin & Company. On the 20th August 1944 it was torpedoed near Durban, Madagascar and sunk, with 94 of the crew surviving and 8 missing.


    Additional Titles

    Web title: SS BERWICKSHIRE

    Assigned title: SS BERWICKSHIRE

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.