Search the Collection
Advanced Search

ERLANGEN

Date: 13 August 1932
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041580

User Terms

    Description
    The German cargo ship ERLANGEN was photographed anchored off Cremorne Point on Saturday morning 13 August 1932 at 8.30am. This image was captured from a ferry travelling between Mosman and Circular Quay, Sydney.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryERLANGEN was a German cargo ship of 6,040 tons built by Blohm & Voss at Steinwerder in 1929. It was the second ship to bear the name Erlangen. It was scrapped in 1941 near Montevideo to avoid being captured by the Royal Navy.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: ERLANGEN

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: ERLANGEN

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.