Search the Collection
Advanced Search

CARINTHIA

Date: 26 February 1933
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041601

User Terms

    Description
    The passenger liner CARINTHIA is shown at No 4 Wharf West Circular Quay on Sunday 26 February 1933. This image was captured from the 9.25 ferry travelling between Mosman and Circular Quay via Garden Island, Sydney. CARINTHIA arrived on the 26 February 1933 carrying passengers between Liverpool and New York for the Cunard Steam Ship Company.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryCARINTHEA was a steel twin-screw British passenger liner of 20,277 tons. It was built in 1925 by Vickers Ld at Barrow. In 1933 was owned by the Cunard Steam Ship Company and registered in the port of Liverpool. It played a role in the transportation of tourist passengers between Liverpool and New York. During World War II it served as an armed merchant cruiser before it was sunk on 6 June 1940 after it was torpedoed by a German submarine near Galway Bay, Ireland.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: CARINTHIA

    Web title: CARINTHIA

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.