Search the Collection
Advanced Search

MS COMLIEBANK

Date: 21 May 1933
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041607

User Terms

    Description
    MS COMLIEBANK is shown anchored between No 3 Athol Bight and Cremorne Point on Sunday 21 May 1933. This image was captured from the 10.45am ferry travelling from Circular Quay to Taronga Park, Sydney.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryCOMLIEBANK was a 5,149 ton British twin screw motorship built in 1924 by Harland & Wolff at Govan and owned by the Bank Line. It was used for carrying cargo and was the second ship to be named Comliebank. It was scrapped in Tokyo on 20th March 1959.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: MS COMLIEBANK

    Assigned title: MS COMLIEBANK

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.