Search the Collection
Advanced Search

ORARI

Date: 2 October 1933
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041614

User Terms

    Description
    British owned cargo/passenger ship ORARI is shown at No 3 Athol Bight on Monday 2 October 1933. This image was captured from the 2pm ferry travelling from Circular Quay to Taronga, Sydney. OTARI was used for carrying refrigerated and general cargo on the trade run between Britain and New Zealand.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryORARI was a cargo ship of 10,107 tons built by Stephen at Linthouse, United Kingdom and owned by the New Zealand Shipping Company Ltd at Plymouth. During World War II it was used as a supply ship and damaged by torpedoes in May 1940. It was also damaged by a mine on June 16th 1942 at Valetta Harbour in Malta. In 1958 it was renamed CAPO BIANCO when it was purchased by Italian owners A Zanchi. In 1971 it was scrapped at Savona, Italy.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: ORARI

    Web title: ORARI

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.