Search the Collection
Advanced Search

CITY OF LYONS

Date: 24 February 1934
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041625

User Terms

    Description
    CITY OF LYONS is shown anchored between No 1 and No 5 Athol Bight on Saturday afternoon, 24 February 1934. This image was captured from the 3.15pm ferry travelling between Circular Quay and Clifton via Taronga, Sydney.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryCITY OF LYONS was a British cargo ship of 7,063 tons built in 1926 by Swan Hunter WR at Wallsend and owned by the Hall Line, part of the Ellerman Lines. It made its last voyage from Chalna, Bangladesh to Dublin, Ireland in 1960 and was soon after sold for scrap.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Web title: CITY OF LYONS

    Assigned title: CITY OF LYONS

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.