Search the Collection
Advanced Search

FRANCONIA

Date: 3 March 1934
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041626

User Terms

    Description
    The passenger liner FRANCONIA was photographed at No 4 West Circular Quay on Saturday morning 3 March 1934. This image was captured from the 8.10am boat travelling between Mosman and Circular Quay, Sydney. FRANCONIA was on a world cruise and arrived in Sydney on 2 March and departed on 3 March at 7pm.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryFRANCONIA was a twin-screw passenger vessel of 20,175 tons built in 1925 by J Brown & Co Ld. In 1934 it was owned by the Cunard Steam Ship Company Ld and registered in Liverpool under a British flag. It was used as a troopship in World War II and transported military personnel from 1939 to 1948. In 1945 it was used as head quarters for the British Prime Minister Winston Churchill at the Yalta Conference. After the war FRANCONIA was used on the passenger trade run between Britain and Canada. It was scrapped in 1956.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: FRANCONIA

    Web title: FRANCONIA

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.