Search the Collection
Advanced Search

HARMATRIS

Date: 5 August 1934
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041630

User Terms

    Description
    The British cargo ship HARMATRIS is shown anchored off Cremorne Point on Sunday morning 5 August 1934. This image was captured from Cremorne on the 11am ferry travelling between Circular Quay and Mosman, Sydney.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryHARMATRIS was a British cargo ship of 5,395 tons built in 1932 by Lithgows at Port Glasgow and owned by the Willis Steam Ship Co Ltd of London. In 1951 it was renamed CHOKO and in 1952 CHOKO MARU. CHOKO MARU was scrapped in 1964.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: HARMATRIS

    Web title: HARMATRIS

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.