Search the Collection
Advanced Search

HARDINGHAM

Date: 18 August 1934
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041631

User Terms

    Description
    The British cargo ship HARDINGHAM is shown anchored off Cremorne Point on Saturday afternoon 18 August 1934. This photograph was taken from the 3.30pm ferry travelling between Circular Quay and Mosman, Sydney.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryHARDINGHAM was a 5,415 ton British cargo ship built in 1933 by Lithgows at Port Glasgow. It was owned by Willis SS Co Ltd of London. In 1940 it hit mines and sank.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: HARDINGHAM

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: HARDINGHAM

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.