Search the Collection
Advanced Search

MV LUNDBY

Date: 8 September 1934
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041632

User Terms

    Description
    The cargo ship LUNDBY is anchored off Cremorne Point on Saturday 8 September 1934. This image was captured from the 10.50am ferry travelling between Mosman and Circular Quay, Sydney. LUNDBY was operating for the Danish shipping line A E Reimann at the time.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryThe MV LUNDBY was originally called SAGA and built in 1926 by Esundsvarvet at Landsrona, Norway. The 4,242 ton cargo ship was given the name LUNDBY in 1931 when it was sold to Danish owners A E Reimann, at Stensved.

    While in New York port in 1941 it was captured by American forces and came under the management of the US War Shipping Administration. In that same year it was renamed PINK STAR and taken over by the United States Line Inc based in Panama. On the 19th of September 1941 it sank after being torpedoed by a German submarine while travelling between New York and Liverpool with general cargo.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: MV LUNDBY

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: LUNDBY

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.