Search the Collection
Advanced Search

PORT CAROLINE

Date: 15 December 1934
Dimensions:
83 x 108 x 2 mm
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Photographer Frederick Garner Wilkinson
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: 00041637

User Terms

    Description
    PORT CAROLINE is shown anchored off Cremorne Point, Sydney on Saturday 15 December 1934. This image was captured from the 8.08 ferry travelling from Mosman to Circular Quay.
    SignificanceThis photograph is part of the F G Wilkinson Photograph Collection, comprising more than 700 glass plate negatives of ships in Sydney Harbour between 1919 and 1936. The collection provides an extensive and well-documented coverage of the changing styles of shipping in the port of Sydney before the gradual decline of the coastal trade, and in a period which was probably the peak reached by commercial shipping in Australia. The backgrounds also reveal the changing face of the city and harbour foreshores.
    HistoryPORT CAROLINE was a steel twin-screw cargo vessel of 8,263 ton. It was built in 1919 by Workman, Clark & Co Ld at Belfast. In 1924 it was owned by the Commonwealth & Dominion Line and registered in London under a British flag.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: F G Wilkinson Shipping Photographs Collection

    Assigned title: PORT CAROLINE

    Web title: PORT CAROLINE

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.