Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Sandridge Sailing Club trophy

Date: 1878-1879
Dimensions:
Overall: 205 × 90 mm
Medium: Silver, emu egg
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Object Name: Trophy
Object No: 00042372
Place Manufactured:Victoria

User Terms

    Description
    This trophy made from an emu egg features bas-relief depictions of two figures on a boat with water in the distance. It was given by Sandridge Sailing Club as a gift of Mark Stone Esquire and awarded to W Atkinson's DOLPHIN in 1878-1879.
    SignificanceThis trophy represents interclub racing in Victoria during the late 19th century and the trophies awarded to winners.
    HistoryThe Sandridge Sailing Club was one of the earliest sailing clubs established in Victoria. The first regatta was held there in 1853. Sandridge was later known as Port Melbourne.

    The DOLPHIN was a centreboarder racing on Port Phillip Bay in the 1870s and sailed with the Brighton Sailing Club. The Brighton Sailing Club was established in 1875 and fourteen boats were registered for the 1875-1876 season. The first inter-club yacht race was held between the Brighton Sailing Club and St Kilda Sailing Club in 1877 and was won by DOLPHIN.

    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Sandridge Sailing Club The Gift of Mark Stone Esq Won by W Atkinson's Dolphin 1878 - 9

    Web title: Sandridge Sailing Club trophy

    Related People

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.