Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Native Grass Hut, TH

Date: 1923
Dimensions:
57 x 87 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with USA Bicentennial Gift funds
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Card
Object No: 00042440

User Terms

    Description
    This black and white photograph depicts a native grass hut in Honolulu, Hawaii. It was produced by Bardell Fototone Miniatures in 1923 as part of a set of 20 boxed souvenir cards. The image was taken by the photographic studio, JW Driscoll and Co, owned by James Bardell in San Francisco. These photographic miniatures were purchased by tourists as souvenirs.
    SignificanceThis collection of photo miniatures are representative of the souvenirs purchased and often sent by tourists to Hawaii while it was still an exotic travel destination.
    HistoryHawaii was annexed by the United States of America as a territory in 1898 and became the 50th state in 1959. In 1900, Hawaii was granted self-governance. Despite several attempts to become a state, Hawaii remained a territory for sixty years.

    During the 40 year period from 1910 - 1950, a romanticised depiction of Hawaii was produced to promote the islands. The economic importance of Hawaii as a tourist destination ensured that Hawaii was promoted as an exotic destination featuring hula dancers, surfers, palm trees and brilliant sunsets. During the 1920s, James Charles Bardell (1884-1954) produced a wide range of miniature photographic cards which were called Bardell Fototone Miniatures. Along with these Hawaiian miniature photographic cards, he also produced miniature photographs of San Francisco, University of California, Pasadena, Los Angeles and Golden Gate Park.

    The expansions of United States interests in the Pacific during the 1920s prior to World War II also added importance to Hawaii as it was seen as the frontline of American defence. This importance extended to Fort Shafter, Honolulu, home to the senior Army headquarters in Hawaii since 1905. Named for MG William R. Shafter (1835-1906), who led the United States expedition to Cuba in 1898, Fort Shafter gradually spread out from its original base in Palm Circle.

    War came suddenly to Fort Shafter on 7 December 1941 with the suprise attack on Peal Harbour. One soldier, Cpl. Arthur A. Favreau, 64th Coast Artillery (Anti-Aircraft), was killed on post by an errant Navy shell. Fort Shafter became a busy headquarters and the barracks on Palm Circle were converted to offices.
    For most of the next half century, Fort Shafter remained the senior Army headquarters for the Asia-Pacific region. The post continued to adapt to meet the Army's evolving requirements. In 1974, when the headquarters was eliminated, Fort Shafter became home to US Army Support Command, Hawaii, and the US Army Corps of Engineers, Pacific Ocean Division (relocated from Fort Armstrong). In 1979 the Army established US Army Western Command, which was renamed US Army, Pacific in 1990. In 1983 the Army conveyed to the State of Hawaii 750 acres of undeveloped land on the mauka end of post. Today Fort Shafter remains the focal point for command, control, and support of Army forces in the dynamic Asia-Pacific region.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Native Grass Hut, TH

    Web title: Native Grass Hut, TH

    Collection title: Bardell Fototone Miniatures - Honolulu TH

    Related People
    Photographer: J W Driscoll & Co

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.