Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Army and Navy YMCA, Honolulu, TH

Date: 1923
Dimensions:
57 x 87 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with USA Bicentennial Gift funds
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Card
Object No: 00042448

User Terms

    Description
    This black and white photograph depicts the Army and Navy YMCA in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is now the Hawaii State Arts Museum. It was produced by Bardell Fototone Miniatures in 1923 as part of a set of 20 boxed souvenir cards. The image was taken by the photographic studio, JW Driscoll and Co, owned by James Bardell in San Francisco. These photographic miniatures were purchased by tourists as souvenirs.
    SignificanceThis collection of photo miniatures are representative of the souvenirs purchased and often sent by tourists to Hawaii while it was still an exotic travel destination.
    HistoryHawaii was annexed by the United States of America as a territory in 1898 and became the 50th state in 1959. In 1900, Hawaii was granted self-governance. Despite several attempts to become a state, Hawaii remained a territory for sixty years.

    During the 40 year period from 1910 - 1950, a romanticised depiction of Hawaii was produced to promote the islands. The economic importance of Hawaii as a tourist destination ensured that Hawaii was promoted as an exotic destination featuring hula dancers, surfers, palm trees and brilliant sunsets. During the 1920s, James Charles Bardell (1884-1954) produced a wide range of miniature photographic cards which were called Bardell Fototone Miniatures. Along with these Hawaiian miniature photographic cards, he also produced miniature photographs of San Francisco, University of California, Pasadena, Los Angeles and Golden Gate Park.

    The expansion of United States interests in the Pacific during the 1920s prior to World War II also added importance to Hawaii as it was seen as the frontline of American defence. This importance extended to Fort Shafter, Honolulu, home to the senior Army headquarters in Hawaii since 1905. Construction began on the ahupua'a of Kahauiki, former Hawaiian crown lands that were ceded to the United States government after annexation. When the post opened in 1907, it was named for MG William R. Shafter (1835-1906), who led the United States expedition to Cuba in 1898.

    Palm Circle was laid out as a cantonment for an infantry battalion. The barracks and officers' quarters were arranged around a parade field ringed by Royal Palms. The 2d Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment was the first unit stationed at the new post. Palm Circle is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

    Fort Shafter gradually spread out from Palm Circle. Tripler General Hospital once stood where the highway intersection is today (the hospital moved to its present location in 1948). In 1914 a regimental-sized cantonment area was constructed (near Richardson Theater). The Hawaiian Ordnance Depot was built in 1917 as a separate post (near today's post exchange). In 1921 the Hawaiian Department moved to Fort Shafter from downtown Honolulu. Finally, a new area was constructed in 1940 for Signal Corps elements.

    War came suddenly to Fort Shafter on 7 December 1941, where the Hawaiian Department commander, LTG Walter C. Short, occupied Quarters 5. One soldier, Cpl. Arthur A. Favreau, 64th Coast Artillery (Anti-Aircraft), was killed on post by an errant Navy shell. Fort Shafter became a busy headquarters and the barracks on Palm Circle were converted to offices. The major headquarters was named successively US Army Forces, Central Pacific Area (1943-44); US Army Forces, Pacific Ocean Areas (1944-45); and US Army Forces, Middle Pacific (1945-47). In 1944 the Army Corps of Engineers erected the "Pineapple Pentagon" (T-100, T-101, and T-102) in just 49 days. Two large fishponds were filled in to form Shafter Flats.

    For most of the next half century, Fort Shafter has remained the senior Army headquarters for the Asia-Pacific region. In 1947 the headquarters was renamed US Army, Pacific. The post continued to adapt to meet the Army's evolving requirements. In the early 1960s the new Moanaloa Freeway split the post in two. In 1974, when the headquarters was eliminated, Fort Shafter became home to US Army Support Command, Hawaii, and the US Army Corps of Engineers, Pacific Ocean Division (relocated from Fort Armstrong). In 1979 the Army established US Army Western Command, which was renamed US Army, Pacific in 1990. In 1983 the Army conveyed to the State of Hawaii 750 acres of undeveloped land on the mauka end of post. Today Fort Shafter remains the focal point for command, control, and support of Army forces in the dynamic Asia-Pacific region.

    During the 1920s, James Charles Bardell (1884-1954) produced a wide range of miniature photographic cards which were called Bardell Fototone Miniatures. As well as these Hawaiian miniature photographic cards, he also produced miniature photographs of San Francisco, University of California, Pasadena, Los Angeles and Golden Gate Park.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Bardell Fototone Miniatures - Honolulu TH

    Assigned title: Army and Navy YMCA, Honolulu, TH

    Web title: Army and Navy YMCA, Honolulu, TH

    Related People
    Photographer: J W Driscoll & Co

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.