Search the Collection
Advanced Search

An Appeal for Missions

Date: 1946
Dimensions:
Overall: 240 x 182 x 1 mm, 0.04 kg
Medium: Paper, metal staples
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Magazine
Object No: 00044259

User Terms

    Description
    This annual magazine of the Mission Board of the Seventh-Day Adventists depicts the schooner PITCAIRN, the first mission ship of the church. The back page shows the landing place of the BOUNTY mutineers on Pitcairn Island in 1790. The Seventh- Day Adventist Church played a pivotal role in the community of Pitcairn during the 1890s and allowed contact between the islanders and the wider Pacific region. This magazine is calling for donations to help rehabilitate and build schools, hospitals and boats destroyed by enemy action on Pitcairn Island during World War II.
    SignificanceThis Magazine represents the work of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church missionaries on Pitcairn Island and in the Pacific Ocean.
    HistorySeventh-Day Adventist missionaries arrived on Pitcairn Island on 18 October 1886 and the missionary John Tay was granted permission to stay. The adoption of the Adventist church by many locals generated great support in America and funds were collected to purchase a missionary ship named PITCAIRN.

    The PITCAIRN was a 100-foot schooner launched on 20 October 1890. Its first landing on Pitcairn Island was on November 1890 where it conducted an intense program baptising some 82 locals, many of whom were already practicing Adventists. The ship also visited many other islands in the Pacific handing out Christian literature and providing medical treatment and facilities.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: An Appeal for Missions

    Primary title: An Appeal for Missions, 1946

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.