Search the Collection
Advanced Search

TSS KATOOMBA salt and pepper shaker

Date: 1940s
Dimensions:
Overall: 65 x 80 mm, 65 g
Medium: Chrome, enamel
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Salt and pepper shaker
Object No: 00044412

User Terms

    Description
    Chrome salt and pepper shakers bearing TSS KATOOMBA enamelled badge. The TSS KATOOMBA was a McIlwraith McEacharn coastal liner and was requisitioned for service in both WWI and WWII.
    HistoryThe triple screw steamer was built in 1913 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast for McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, Melbourne, operating coastal passenger services from Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Freemantle. KATOOMBA remained in coastal trade for most of WWI but was requisition in May 1918 and converted into a troopship. KATOOMBA made two trans-Atlantic journeys carrying US allies and served as a returnee prisoner-of-war carrier until September 1919.

    KATOOMBA was refitted at Cockatoo Dock and on 6 March 1920 resumed service as a coastal passenger ship, servicing the Sydney to Fremantle route for nearly 20 years. In 1934 KATOOMBA commenced annual voyages to Northern Queensland and the South Pacific until WWII.

    In March 1941 KATOOMBA was requisitioned a second time and remained under Government control until 1946, transporting troops and supplies to Northern Australia, Papua New Guinea and Asia, as well as assisting in the evacuation of women and children from Pacific islands under threat. During this time commercial services were intermittent.

    After KATOOMBA was returned to McIlwraith McEacharn in 1946, the steamer was sold to Goulandris Brothers of Greece and was later renamed COLUMBIA. Passenger voyages continued until 1957 and the vessel was finally scrapped in Nagasaki in September 1959.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.