Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Aneroid barometer

Date: 1873
Dimensions:
Overall: 155 x 130 x 55 mm, 724.2 g
Medium: Metal, glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Russell MacDougall
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Barometer
Object No: 00044456

User Terms

    Description
    The aneroid barometer was first introduced in the 1840s and served as an early means of forecasting weather. By the mid to late 19th century barometers were very common, production was prolific and relatively low cost. When used in combination with with observations they provided a reasonably accurate short term weather forecast. This barometer was presented to Captain McRea of the SAXONIA by Captain Henry Burns to commemorate his first visit to Broughton Island, 23 August 1873. The SAXONIA (ex-COLUMBIA; ex-SIRIUS) was operating as a collier at the time. Prior to this the vessel serviced trade between England and Holland and, after arriving in Australia in the 1860s, spent four years as a passenger ship.
    HistorySS SAXONIA was an iron screw steamship, 357 tons (#28362) built in Great Britain in 1856 by M Samuelson & Co. The ship was launched as the COLUMBIA and later renamed SIRIUS in 1860 by the General Steam Navigation Co of London. Built for trade between England and Holland, and running to Mauritius from 1860 on. Sent to Australia since with a view to sell, and was purchased by ASN Co December 1865 after spending much of 1864 anchored in Hobsons Bay Victoria. As a passenger ship, SAXONIA lasted four years until sold November 1869 to W Summerbell, and converted into a collier. Sold again November 1896 to the Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Co and was wrecked 17th May 1896 on Bellambi Reef, New South Wales.

    The aneroid barometer was first introduced in the 1840s and served as an early means of forecasting weather. By the mid to late 19th century barometers were very common, production was prolific and relatively low cost. The barometer was presented to Captain McRea of the SAXONIA in 1873 by Captain Henry Burns; the inscription indicating that it was a gift commemorating Captain McRea's first visit to Broughton Island. At this time the SAXONIA was owned by W Summerbell and operated as a collier.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.