Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Photograph of rowing four Q R DELOITTE III naming ceremony

Date: 1958-1959
Medium: Silver gelatin print
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Christine Stewart
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: ANMS1288[023]

User Terms

    Description
    This black and white photograph depicts the naming of the rowing four QR Deloite III at Sydney Rowing Club, Abbotsford. It was named after the Quarton Levitt Deloite, the SRC's first captain, one of its founding members and Club President 1902-1929.
    SignificanceThis photograph is associated with other rowing memorabilia that documents the history of Sydney Rowing Club from the late ninteenth century to the mid twentieth century as well as the club's role in sending the Australian Eights crew to participate at the Olympic Games in Stockholm and the Royal Henley Regatta in 1912.

    HistorySydney Rowing Club is the oldest Rowing Club in New South Wales and was founded in 1870. It was originally situated at East Circular Quay but heavy water traffic necessitated a move to Woolloomooloo in 1889 and then to Abbotsford on the Parramatta River.

    The SRC fleet began with thirteen boats including six fours, six light skiffs and one six pairs scull express boat in 1870. In 1872 several new boats were purchased others presented to the club. From 21 craft at the end of the 1873/74 season, the fleet grew to 38 at the end of the 1870s and included Clasper built eights, clinker eights, outrigger sculls, outrigger fours, four-pair sculls, a pair oar, a six pair, a ferry boat and the state barge. In the 1890s three eights were acquired, a Fuller-built eight was purchased in 1891 and Samuel Hordern presented a Clasper-built eight in 1893. The third eight named the J E H KENNEDY was purchased through subscriptions in 1897. At the beginning of 1904 the fleet contained 24 boats. A new practice eight was bought in 1905/6 called the W J HANNA and a racing eight built by Edwards of Melbourne was purchased in 1907/8. At the end of 1909 the clubs fleet consisted of three eights, two regulation fours, five other fours, four pairs, three Gladstone skiffs, six skiffs a best double scull and a best pair-oar and outrigger. A practice eight and a regulation four were bought from Mercantile Rowing Club in 1910/11 and Edith Walker presented a clinker four to the club.

    In 1909 the NSW State Eight rowed a new eight built by George Towns and named QL DELOITTE at the interstate championships held in Tasmania. It also won in 1910 and 1911 and was used by the Australians to win the Grand Challenge Cup at the Henley Royal Regatta in 1912. The QL DELOITTE was sold to the Thames Rowing Club after its Henley win. The stroke and bow seats were brought back by ES Marks, President of the NSW Sports Club and were suitably mounted.

    In March 1922 fire destroyed the SRC's shed at Woolloomooloo Bay and 19 boats were lost including three eights, a regulation four, two practice fours, two double sculls and pleasure skiffs. A new best four was acquired in 1925 and named QL DELOITTE. In May 1928 a new eight was presented to the club and named QL DELOITTE II. By the end of 1930 the fleet was back up to 22 boats. In 1948/49 a best four named QL DELOITTE was acquired by the club and the old QL DELOITTE now 20 years old was withdrawn from use. Between 1950 and 1960 the fleet grew from 14 to 22. In 1958/9 A new best four the QL DELOITTE III joined its ten year old namesake. The old DELOITTE was sold in 1963/4.




    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Christening of rowing skull

    Collection title: Charles Keith Stewart Collection

    Web title: Photograph of rowing four Q R DELOITTE III naming ceremony

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.