Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Photograph of a man tiling the floor at Sydney Rowing Club

Date: c 1955
Medium: Silver gelatin print
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Christine Stewart
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: ANMS1288[025]

User Terms

    Description
    In July 1952 a major extension to the club's ballroom was completed and further alterations were carried out between 1953 and 1955. In 1956 a vestibule entrance was completed and the patio extended.
    SignificanceThis photograph is associated with other rowing memorabilia that documents the history of Sydney Rowing Club from the late ninteenth century to the mid twentieth century as well as the club's role in sending the Australian Eights crew to participate at the Olympic Games in Stockholm and the Royal Henley Regatta in 1912.
    HistorySydney Rowing Club is the oldest Rowing Club in New South Wales and was founded in 1870. It was originally situated at East Circular Quay but heavy water traffic necessitated a move to Woolloomooloo in 1889 and then to Abbotsford on the Parramatta River.

    Australia first sent rowers to Stockholm 1912. The eight won the Grand Challenge Cup at the Henley Regatta en route to Sweden. A change of personnel between Henley and Stockholm resulted in the crew losing some form and it missed a medal, whilst the Leander crew, which finished second at Henley, won the gold medal for Great Britain.





    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Fixing the tiles

    Collection title: Charles Keith Stewart Collection

    Web title: Photograph of a man tiling the floor at Sydney Rowing Club

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.