Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

View of Circular Quay and Sydney Cove

Date: 1868
Dimensions:
Overall: 57 x 147 mm
Medium: Photograph
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from David and Stephanie Helen Barnsdall
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: 00045618
Place Manufactured:Circular Quay
Related Place:Farm Cove,

User Terms

    Description
    This photograph depicts Circular Quay in Sydney. The Man O' War Steps are behind the photographer on the other side of Fort Macquarie.
    SignificanceThese detailed early photographs of Sydney harbour show shipping in Farm Cove and Circular Quay in about 1870 - illustrating aspects of maritime infrastructure at that time.
    HistoryThe name Man O' War steps is the name given to the stone jetty on the northern side of Bennelong Point. Built originally of timber, the jetty was constructed for Governor Macquarie's private about 1810. Between 1810 and 1820 it was rebuilt in stone and gradually ceased to be for the exclusive use of the Governor. The stone jetty enclosed a sheltered landing for small craft with a flight of steps to water level at the inner extremity. The steps were used for watering ships in the nearby anchorage and as these were often naval vessels, the steps came to be known as Man O' War steps.

    Circular Quay is the site of the first European settlement in Australia and the hub for the earliest commercial shipping activities in the colony of New South Wales. Circular Quay has been a major point of arrival and departure for Europeans and the infrastructure of surrounding warehouses, hotels, houses and commercial premises has progressively evolved since 1788.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: View of Circular Quay and Sydney Cove

    (not entered): Photograph of Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour, about 1868

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.