Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Mort's Dock & Engineering Co. Ltd, Engineers and Shipbuilders, 1893, Ship No. 28, Engines No. 222, Sydney

Date: 1893
Dimensions:
Overall: 385 x 465 x 5 mm
Medium: Metal; brass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from the Trustees of the Sydney Training Depot
Classification:Visual communication
Object Name: Builder's plate
Object No: 00045812

User Terms

    Description
    Cast brass builder's plate from Sydney pilot ship CAPTAIN COOK (II), inscribed 'MORT'S DOCK & ENGINEERING CO. LD. /Engineers and Shipbuilders /1893/ Ship No. 28 Engines No. 222/ SYDNEY.'

    CAPTAIN COOK, built at Mort's Dock, Balmain in 1893, was the second of three pilot ships of that name. It was well known for its 45 years' service on Sydney Harbour and for rescues and other duties at places outside Sydney such as Middleton Reef ( in 1907) and Lord Howe Island. It was also well known for its large figurehead representing Captain James Cook, which was transferred to the next ship of the name. The ship was renamed CAPTAIN PHILLIP in 1939, when the third CAPTAIN COOK pilot ship came into service. It served with the Australian Army before being scuttled off Sydney in 1947.

    Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd existed from 1875-1961. It was an important ship and boatbuilder in Sydney, and during World War II repaired vessels and built corvettes for the RAN. All three CAPTAIN COOK pilot ships were built at Mort's Dock.






    SignificanceRoss Gillett, Australian Ships, Sydney 1989, pp 33-34
    Additional Titles

    Primary title: Mort's Dock & Engineering Co. Ltd, Engineers and Shipbuilders, 1893, Ship No. 28, Engines No. 222, Sydney

    Assigned title: Builder's plate from CAPTAIN COOK (II)

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.