Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Photograph albums from HMAS CANBERRA

Date: 1935-1936
Dimensions:
Overall: 178 x 259 x 22 mm, 584.63 g
Medium: Photograph
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Patrick Corrigan Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph Album
Object No: V00045706

User Terms

    Description
    These two photographic albums are embossed with a design of a three-masted ship and contain black and white photographs of HMAS CANBERRA's cruises made between 1935 and 1936. It depicts views from the ship at sea, port and at locations in NSW and South Australia. The albums focus on CANBERRA's duties as a heavy cruiser for the Royal Australian Navy prior to the outbreak of World War II demonstrating the ship's normal naval duties and its importance in many Australian and neighbouring ports.
    SignificanceThese albums reflect on the peacetime career of HMAS CANBERRA one of two heavy cruisers in the Royal Australian Navy prior to the outbreak of World War II. They show normal naval duties and the importance of ship visits to major Australian and neighbouring ports. The albums are a stark contrast to the eventual end of the cruiser - sunk in the Battle of Savo island by shellfire eventually attributed to an allied American naval ship.
    HistoryThe County class heavy cruiser HMAS CANBERRA was launched in Scotland in 1927 and commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy the following year. Prior to World War II the cruiser remained in and around Australia's home waters conducting occasional cruises to New Zealand and New Guinea.

    When World War II broke out in September 1939, CANBERRA continued to serve in home waters, patrolling and escorting ships across the Tasman Sea. In 1940 it was transferred to the Indian Ocean escorting troopships and convoys from Fremantle to Colombo and Cape Town. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, CANBERRA escorted troopships to Malaya and Java theatres of war and supported the landing of American troops at Guagcanal and Tulagi in 1942.

    On 9 August 1942 two torpedoes struck the starboard side as well as over 20 salvos of 8-inch gunfire. Survivors were taken on board US Ships PATTERSON and BLUE, although of the 819 serving personnel 193 were lost .

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.