Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Barque PORT JACKSON

Date: 1 March 1908
Dimensions:
Overall: 540 x 640 mm
Sight: 310 x 380 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print, framed
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from W P Sadler
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: 00032393
Place Manufactured:Australia
Related Place:Sydney Heads, Aberdeen,

User Terms

    Description
    A black and white photograph of the barque PORT JACKSON.
    An attached label reads 'Bqe. Port Jackson" Capt. C. Maitland commander 15 miles off Sydney Heads (homeward bound) March 1st 1908".

    PORT JACKSON was built in 1882 for William Duthrie as a wool clipper on the London to Sydney run. On its maiden voyage to Sydney the PORT JACKSON broke the record for a four-masted barque, reaching Sydney in 77 days from the the English Channel.

    This image depicts PORT JACKSON leaving Sydney for London where it arrived 96 days later.

    SignificanceThe PORT JACKSON was one of the last of the iron square-riggers and a varied life as a cargo trader, apprentice ship and again as a cargo carrier in WWI.
    Orhinaly considered 'one of the most beautiful iron ships ever built', PORT JACKSON met a tragic end after being torpedoed and sunk off the coast of southern Ireland.
    HistoryPORT JACKSON, 2,212 gross ton, was built at Aberdeen, Scotland, by Hall &? Co. for the sailing ship firm Duthie Brothers, and was designed by Alexander Duthie. In 1905 The Marine Society, which operated a training ship ARETHUSA on the London River, agreed with the shipping line Devitt &? Moore to provide ocean-training as merchant seamen for boys between 14 and 18 years who had already served six months on the ARETHUSA. In 1906 Devitt &? Moore bought PORT JACKSON for this purpose and refitted it to accommodate 100 boys. The ship carried no apprentices or midshipmen. It had a crew of 36, a chaplain, a doctor and four nautical instructors. The boys were divided into three watches each with an instructor and assisted in working the ship and handling the sails.

    PORT JACKSON's first voyage as a training ship began on 28 June 1906. It took 126 days, reaching Sydney on 1 November. During the voyage a concert was held every Wednesday for the boys' amusement, and while they were in Sydney they received continual hospitality. They returned to London with a cargo of wool, tallow and Government stores. The training scheme proved successful, and on subsequent voyages midshipmen were also included.

    In 1909 a new company, Devitt &? Moore's Ocean Training Ships was formed, with shareholders from well-known shipping companies such as Cunard, Union-Castle, Orient Steam Navigation and Royal Mail Lines. Cadets on PORT JACKSON now included boys from famous schools such as Harrow and Eton, and from natutical training colleges. In 1910 Devitt &? Moore bought another training ship, the MEDWAY. These ships and their trainees were popular visitors to Sydney, with rowing races and cricket matches.

    In 1916, during the First World War, the PORT JACKSON was sold and reverted to cargo carrying. On 28 April 1917 it was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine off the coast of Ireland. The captain and 13 crew were killed.
















    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.