Search the Collection
Advanced Search

John See sale of SS MATILDA to the North Coast Steam Navigation Company Limited 18 December 1891

Date: 1891
Dimensions:
Overall: 395 x 508 mm
Medium: Ink on paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from the Estate of the late Keith Murray
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Bill of Sale
Object No: 00046231

User Terms

    SignificanceN L McKellar, From Derby round to Capetown, the A.U.S.N. Story 1977, p 650
    HistoryWooden screw steamer MATILDA was built in 1874 by William Dunn at Lavender Bay on Sydney's North Shore. The registration certificate describes it as of 10.57 gross tonnage, and 7.19 registered tons (after a compulsory allowance of 3.38 tons under the tonnage deck to accommodate crew). It was 45.2 feet (13.78 m) long, 8.6 feet (2.61 m) in breadth, with tonnage depth of 4 feet (1.22 m). It had a single deck, no mast or rigging and a single link motion engine built in 1874 by Vale and Lacey of Druitt Street, Sydney. The engine was of 8 inch cylinder, and 8 inch stroke, producing 8 horse power. It was unenclosed, in open space. The Registration Certificate describes the ship as carvel built, with billet head and wooden framework.

    The MATILDA's first owner was the Australasian Steam Navigation Company, who sold it in 1875. It had many subsequent owners until it was bought by the North Coast Steam Navigation Company in 1891 from John See (the merger with John See formed the company), and sold in 1894 to John Barrie and William Reynolds Cowdery.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.