Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Reproduced courtesy of Hilda Farquar-Smith and Robert Dun

Collection of 142 photographs and newspaper clippings relating to Captain Burnham Dun

Date: 1920s-1980s
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from the family of Burnham Walker Dun
Object Copyright: © Hilda Farquar-Smith and Robert Dun
Classification:Models
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS1350

User Terms

    Description
    This collection of 142 photographs and newspaper clippings relate to the maritime career of Master Mariner Captain Burnham Walker Dun. The series includes five envelopes which contained photographs; one E & A Line newsletter; two newspaper clippings relating to Captain Dun; one set of speech notes given by Captain Dun; and 133 photographs featuring Captain Dun relating to functions held aboard the SS ARAMAC including passengers and crew; an image of the vessel EASTERN in harbour and a portrait of Captain Burnham Walker Dun in uniform and cap.
    HistoryBurnham Walker Dun 1905-1992 began his apprenticeship with the Australasian Steam Navigation Company in 1921 when he was just short of his 16th birthday. After four years in the coastal ships of AUSN he gained his Second Mate's certificate in Sydney and joined the Eastern & Australian Steamship Company (E&A) as Fourth Officer on the TANDA. He served 43 years with this Company sailing to ports between Australia and eastern Asia, retiring in 1967. He gained his Master's Certificate in 1929, at the age of 24.

    In 1942, while he was Chief Officer onboard SS NANKIN, the ship was captured by the German raider THOR. He spent the rest of World War II labouring in Japanese POW camps with the other surviving crew. He returned to Australia in poor health and spent years trying to get compensation. Although he was an Australian resident employed by an Australian company (managing agents Macdonald Hamilton) the ship was British owned and registered, and he obtained only limited compensation. He went back to sea with E&A in 1946, had his first permanent command in 1947 on the second NANKIN, and served in the company's ships EASTERN, NELLORE, ARAFURA and ARAMAC until he retired. During this time he carried cargo regularly to Japan, where he established friendly relationships with his former captors. During his career he made a number of rescues at sea and survived several severe typhoons. On retirement, he became a Nautical Assessor and took part in marine Courts of Enquiry, including the enquiry into the collapse of the Tasman Bridge, caused by the cargo ship LAKE ILLAWARRA striking one of the bridge's piers.

    The Eastern & Australian Steamship Company (E&A Line) began as 4 British and Australian merchants contracted in 1873 to provide a mail service for the Queensland Government to transport mail between Queensland, Dutch East Indies, Singapore and Sydney. Hong Kong and Melbourne were eventually added to the route. In 1880 the contract was not renewed and they ceased mail transportation, evolving into a passenger and cargo carrier. They operated mainly between Hong Kong and Australia. Through its history, the E&A Lines carried cargo and passengers, and was involved in trooping and supply in World War I and in World War II. Its entire fleet of three ships was lost in World War II.

    In 1919 the company was taken over by Australasian United Steam Navigation Ltd, although it continued to operate as a separate entity until 1945. At that time, the chairman of P&O also held extensive interest in Australasian United Steam Navigation, and the company became connected to P&O in 1946. Australasian United from there after focused on cargo transportation between Australia and the Far East and continued to operate until 1975 when their last two ships were sold, although from 1983 it continued to staff and operate AJCL containerships.

    The twin screw SS ARAMAC was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1948 for the Cunard-White Star Line. Originally named PARTHIA, in 1962 it was transferred to the New Zealand Shipping Company and renamed REMUERA. The ship was originally built to carry 250 first class passengers but in 1962 was rebuilt by Alex Stephens, Glasgow, increasing the capacity to 350 first class passengers. In 1964 the E & A Line purchased the vessel and renamed it ARAMAC. ARAMAC serviced the Melbourne – Hong Kong route from then on, and was scrapped in 1969 in Taiwan.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Captain Burnham Walker Dun collection

    Web title: Collection of 142 photographs and newspaper clippings relating to Captain Burnham Dun

    Assigned title: Photographs from ARAMAC relating to functions

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.