Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Tidewater Oil 'Snowflake' kerosene crate

Date: c 1911
Dimensions:
Display dimensions: 370 x 525 x 265 mm, 478.62 g (approx.)
Medium: Wood
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Purchased with USA Bicentennial Gift funds
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Kerosene crate
Object No: 00028208

User Terms

    Description
    Tidewater Oil Company was founded in 1887 and primarily produced kerosene under the Snowflake brand prior to WWI. Kerosene was a major import into Australia up until WWII. A tender for the supply of Snowflake kerosene for the Point Charles lighthouse was published in the Northern Teritory Times and Gazette on 18 August 1911.
    SignificanceThis kerosene crate is representative of a major import from the United State to Australia in the late 19th and early 20th century. Kerosene replaced whale oil as the preferred product for lighting in the home.
    HistoryTidewater Oil Company was a major petroleum refining and marketing concern in the United States for more than 80 years. Tidewater was best known for its Flying A-branded products and gas stations, and for Veedol motor oil, which was known throughout the world.

    Tidewater was founded in New York City in 1887. The company entered the gasoline market just before World War I, and by 1920 was selling gasoline, oil and other products on the East Coast under its Tydol brand. In 1931, Tidewater expanded its reach into the midwestern U.S. by purchasing Northwestern Oil Company of Superior, Wisconsin.

    Soon thereafter, Standard Oil Company of New Jersey (now ExxonMobil) gained control of Tidewater, and set up the subsidiary Mission Corporation to operate it. J. Paul Getty's purchase of Mission in 1937 set the stage for the birth of Tidewater as a major national player in the oil industry.

    In 1938, Getty merged Tidewater with Associated Oil Company, based in San Francisco with a market area limited to the Far West. Associated, founded in 1901, had created the prominent Flying A brand for its premium-grade gasoline in 1932.

    With the merger and creation of Tidewater Associated Oil Company, Flying A became the primary brand name for the company, though the Tydol and Associated names were also retained in their respective marketing areas. The Veedol trademark was retained for motor oils and lubricants. During the 1950s, the Associated and Tydol brands gradually fell into disuse, and were dropped entirely in 1956. That same year, "Associated" was removed from the corporate name.

    Tidewater operated refineries on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, as well as a small fleet of West Coast-based tankers.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Tidewater Oil 'Snowflake' kerosene crate

    Assigned title: 'Snowflake' kerosene crate

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.