Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Four master barques OLIVEBANK and MAGDALENE VINNEN

Date: 1921-1936
Dimensions:
Overall: 133 x 86 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print, paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Jean Nielsen
Classification:Posters and postcards
Object Name: Postcard
Object No: 00032084

User Terms

    HistoryThe four-masted steel barque, MAGDALENE VINNEN, was built in 1921 in Kiel, Germany for F A Vinnen and Company in Bremen. On 27 February 1933, under the command of Captain Lorenz Peters, MAGDALENE VINNEN sailed into Sydney Harbour. The masts were too tall to allow the vessel to pass under the Harbour Bridge to be berthed in Pyrmont, so it was moved to Number 2 wharf in Woolloomooloo. The barque was loaded with almost 16,000 bales of wool, the fourth largest shipment to have left Sydney, before it sailed the record-breaking 82-day voyage for Falmouth, England.

    The barque visited Australia again in 1935, with its cargo being wheat, lifted from Port Broughton in South Australia. The following year, the vessel was sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, renamed KOMMODORE JOHNSEN and used as a cargo carrier and sail-training ship. In 1945, the ship was awarded to the Soviet Union as war compensation and renamed SEDOV. When it was first built, it was the largest auxiliary barque in the world. To this day, it is still in operation and in 2011, it retained its ranking as the largest tall ship in the world.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.