Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Four-masted barques LAWHILL and OLIVEBANK moored alongside a jetty

Date: 1931-1939
Dimensions:
Overall: 84 x 136 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print, paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Jean Nielsen
Classification:Posters and postcards
Object Name: Postcard
Object No: 00032085

User Terms

    Description
    This photograph of the steel barques LAWHILL and OLIVEBANK is mounted as a postcard and depicts the vessels moored alongside a jetty. Written on the reverse is '4Mb Lawhill / & / Olivebank / of / Mariehamn / Aland / Finland.' Throughout the early 20th century, Gustaf Erikson of Mariehamn, Aland in Finland, operated a fleet of sailing vessels in the Australian wheat trade.
    SignificanceThis postcard represents the two ships of the Erikson Line - LAWHILL and OLIVEBANK. Gustaf Erikson became famous for operating a fleet of sailing vessels mainly on the wheat trade between Australia and Europe.
    HistoryOLIVEBANK
    Built by Mackie & Thomson and Company in Glasgow in 1892, the four-masted steel barque had two shipowners before the Finnish company Gustaf Erikson assumed ownership in October 1924. On 8 September 1939, the vessel sank off Jutland with a loss of 14 lives.

    LAWHILL
    Built by W B Thompson & Company in Dundee in 1892, the four-masted steel barque plied the oil and then wheat trade. Sold to the Finnish company Gustaf Erikson in 1917, it continued the Australian wheat trade and earned the nickname 'Lucky LAWHILL' for its speedy and safe voyages. Although 'defiant of storms and enemy action', LAWHILL was confiscated by the South African Government in 1942 as a war prize. It was finally broken up in 1959.
    Additional Titles

    Web title: Four-masted barques LAWHILL and OLIVEBANK moored alongside a jetty

    Primary title: Four master barques LAWHILL and PAMIR

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.