Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Material relating to the Sydney Flying Squadron

Date: 1925 - 1987
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Faye Magner
Classification:Posters and postcards
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS1377

User Terms

    Description
    This archive series numbered [001] - [087] consists of material relating to the champion 18-foot skiff BRITANNIA and the Sydney Flying Squadron Championship. It includes posters advertising open boat club races; 40 photographs of the BRITANNIA and other skiffs sailing; brochures, programs, journals, balance sheets and booklets related to the Sydney Flying Squadron; and 20 newspaper clippings related to the Sydney Flying Squadron Championships.
    SignificanceThis is a rare insider's view of open boat racing from the 1920s collected by Britannia's owner, builder, and skipper 'Wee' Georgie Robinson and donated by his daughter Faye Magner.
    HistoryThe Sydney Flying Squadron (SFS) Yacht club was established in 1891 and is now the oldest open boat club in Australia. The club advocated for sailing to be open to all types of vessels and sailors, and made a major contribution to the growth and development of the 18-foot skiff class.

    The 18-foot skiff BRITANNIA was built at Balmain in 1918 by champion skipper and boat builder 'Wee' Georgie Robinson. In the 18-footer heyday of the 1920s and 1930s, BRITANNIA was famed for its tremendous sail carrying capacity. By 1936, the skiff had been racing on the Harbour for over 15 years. BRITANNIA was, by this time, well established as one of the champion racing skiffs of the 18-footer class on Sydney Harbour. In the late 1930s BRITANNIA could boast a formidable list of championship honours as one of the fastest skiffs on the Harbour. In 1938, Georgie Robinson won the J L Glick Cup as "The Skipper with the Best Record in all Sydney Flying Squadron Club Championship Races Sailed for the Seasons 1935 - 36, 1936 - 37 and 1937 - 38."

    After 25 years of racing, BRITANNIA spent the next 28 years as the official starter boat for the Sydney Flying Squadron when it was fitted with a launch engine and superstructure. It was retired to a harbour front boatshed in the early 1970s. BRITANNIA was purchased by the National Maritime Museum in May 1986 and in June 1986 it was sent for restoration to boat restorer Arthur Griffith.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Collection on posters, photographs, booklets, programmes and newspaper clippings related to the eighteen foot skiff BRITANNIA, and the Sydney Flying Squadron Championship

    Web title: Material relating to the Sydney Flying Squadron

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.