Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Figurehead from the GWRTHEYRN CASTLE

Date: 1870s
Dimensions:
Overall: 1970 x 560 x 490 mm, 64000 g
Medium: Wood, paint
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from the Trustees of the Sydney Training Depot
Classification:Vessels and fittings
Object Name: Figurehead
Object No: 00047422

User Terms

    Description
    Painted wooden figurehead from the sailing ship GWYTHERN CASTLE.
    SignificanceAustralian examples of ship's figureheads and bow decorations are extremely rare.

    HistoryThe carved figure is in the form of a woman wearing crown, with one hand on her heart, clutching a red and yellow disc. On either side are painted carved scrolls.

    The GWRYTHERN CASTLE, built in Wales in 1876, was an iron barque which traded to Australia in the late 19th century and finished its days in Sydney from 1923 as a coal hulk. The figurehead was probably removed at this time.

    It then formed part of the collection of the Len E Forsythe Museum, at the Sydney Training Depot on Snapper Island until 2005 and was repainted by apprentice shipwrights from Sydney Technical College around 1980. A photograph in the ANMM Hood collection (00024971) shows the figurehead displayed at Snapper Island in the mid-1930s.





    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Len E Forsythe Snapper Island Collection

    Web title: Figurehead from the GWRTHEYRN CASTLE

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.