Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Sailing ship JOHN DUTHIE at anchor in Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour

Date: c 1865
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Mr and Mrs Glassford
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: ANMS1092[086]

User Terms

    SignificanceRoderick Winchcombe Glassford had a long and varied maritime career during which he worked as a Passenger Superintendent with P&O and served with the Coast Artillery at South Head during WW2. The rich Glassford collection at the Australian National Maritime Museum provides a valuable record of Australian maritime history that includes books, images and archives.
    HistoryThe iron ship JOHN DUTHIE was built in 1864 by John Duthie, Sons & Co. of Aberdeen.

    JOHN DUTHIE was used primarily in the Australian passenger trade until being sold in 1887 to another Aberdeen shipowner. At this time the vessel's name was changed to LUMBERMAN'S LADDIE was was used in the timber cargo trade. The vessel was wrecked near Newcastle, England, in 1889.

    On 13 May 1865, while JOHN DUTHIE was moored at Circular Quay, a son was born onboard to the vessel's Captain. The child, John Duthie Sydney Phillips, followed in his father's footsteps and himself captained many ships before his death in 1945. According to his will, Captain Phillips' ashes were scattered in the place he was born - Circular Quay. The Sydney Morning Herald (9 November 1945) reported that the Harbour Master Captain Murchinson scattered Phillips' ashes guided by an old photograph of the sailing ship JOHN DUTHIE at its moorings in Circular Quay in 1865 to select the most accurate location.

    Discuss this Object


    Please log in to add a comment.