Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Glass plate negative with two separate images of the vessels JOHN WILLIAMS and LOCH LONG

Date: c 1900
Medium: Emulsion on glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Mr and Mrs Glassford
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Glass plate negative
Object No: ANMS1092[088]

User Terms

    SignificanceRoderick Winchcombe Glassford had a long and varied maritime career during which he worked as a Passenger Superintendent with P&O and served with the Coast Artillery at South Head during WW2. The rich Glassford collection at the Australian National Maritime Museum provides a valuable record of Australian maritime history that includes books, images and archives.
    HistoryLOCH LONG was a three-masted clipper ship built in 1876 by J&G Thomson for the General Shipping Co. of Glasgow. The vessel was primarily engaged in the Australian wool trade until 1903 when it ran aground and was wrecked off the Chatham Islands.

    JOHN WILLIAMS was a missionary ship owned by the London Missionary Society (LMS). Seven ships operated under the name between 1844 and the 1970s, undertaking missionary work in the Pacific region.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.