Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Burns, Philp & Co leadlight glass panel

Date: 1890-1940
Dimensions:
Overall: 70 x 410 x 10 mm, 1.6 kg
Medium: Lead frame, stained glass
Credit Line: ANMM Collection
Classification:Tools and equipment
Object Name: Glass panel
Object No: 00031341

User Terms

    Description
    The shipping line Burns, Philp & Company's Scotch thistle is depicted inside a roundel in this leadlight glass panel. The merchant line played a fundamental role in developing trade networks between Australia and the Pacific during the first half of the 20th century.
    SignificanceThis leadlight panel is representative of Burns, Philp & Co, a household name in Australian shipping during the early twentieth century.
    HistoryBurns, Philp & Co Ltd became incorporated in 1883. Their early operations included running small stores on Queensland's Gympie goldfields and shipping goods between Brisbane and Sydney. The company expanded and began shipping between Australia and the South East Pacific running numerous plantations and warehouses overseas. In the interwar period of the 20th century Burns, Philp & Co became an established name in Australia, their ships clearly recognisable by their identifiable Scotch Thistle flag.

    During World War II a number of their ships were commandeered by the Merchant Navy and used as troop and supply transports. The company’s specialised knowledge of the Pacific became very useful in the allied war effort and both the ships and their personnel were taken into war service.

    During the 1970s Burns, Philp & Co made major operational changes to the company and became involved in the production and distribution of food and beverage. It operated on the Australian Stock Exchange until December 2006 when it was divided and sold.

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.